UPDATE: 1 August 2017 NEW
The following candidates have been selected for the at-sea training places:
- Leslee Salzman (South Africa)
- Arthur Wilfred Balla Essomba (Cameroon)
- Byran M Cababan (Philippines)
At-Sea Training Programme 2017 CLOSED
The Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries, Republic of Korea (MOF) in accordance with its contract for polymetallic sulphides exploration with the International Seabed Authority, is offering two (2) at-sea, on-board training places for candidates from developing states, in the fields of Geology and Geophysics. The cruise will be organized by the Korea Institute of Ocean Science and Technology (KIOST) and is planned between June and August, 2017, for about 30 days.
The survey will focus on geological sampling and high-resolution topographic mapping using a deep-tow side scan sonar system.
Candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Education: hold a bachelor or master’s degree in the field of geology, geophysics or have equivalent educational background;
- Language: sufficient knowledge of English for daily conversation and training;
- Health: good mental and physical health suitable for work at sea;
- Age: under 45 years of age; and
- Other: seagoing experience (preferred but not a requirement).
The selected trainees will be required to submit a physical examination report, signed by licensed physician, stating that the trainee is physically fit to participate in the exploration cruise.
MOF will cover all the relevant costs including: ♦ transportation costs accrued by trainees pursuant to their participation in the exploration cruise,♦ accommodations and meals on board and on land, ♦ medical insurance, and ♦ other incidental expenses that might arise during the training period.
Applications should be submitted by email, in one of the official languages of the International Seabed Authority to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 3 April 2017 deadline.
Applications must be accompanied by:
a) Application form ( docx | pdf ) to be completed by the applicant;
b) Nomination form ( docx | pdf ) to be completed by the institution or governmental department;
c) Copy of certificate of degree;
d) Proof of sufficient knowledge of English.
Issue date: 3 March 2017