ADSR project / Mauritius workshop
1 Jun 2021 - 3 Jun 2021
The third workshop of the Africa’s Deep Seabed Resources (ADSR) project will take place virtually from 1 to 3 June 2021.
This workshop is hosted jointly by ISA and Mauritius with the support of the African Union and the Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation. It aims to foster international and regional cooperation to promote the sustainable development of Africa’s deep seabed resources in support of Africa’s blue economy by bringing together key stakeholders and experts including official representatives of Comoros, Kenya, Mauritius, Madagascar, Rwanda, Tanzania, Seychelles and Somalia.
The ADSR project builds on a joint Voluntary Commitment (#OceanAction16374) registered by ISA in cooperation with the African Mineral Development Centre of the UN Economic Commission for Africa (since transferred to the African Union) at the 2017 UN Ocean Conference to foster international and regional cooperation in support of sustainable development of Africa’s blue economy. The project is implemented by ISA in partnership with the African Union and the Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation (NORAD) in close cooperation with States Parties to UNCLOS, relevant international and regional organizations and experts. The goal of the ADSR project is to provide enabling conditions for African countries to fully benefit from the blue economy through sustainable development of their deep-seabed resources.
One of the key deliverables of the project is to organize five regional workshops with a view to raising awareness among African decision-makers about the importance of sustainable development of activities on Africa’s continental shelf and in the adjacent international seabed area (the Area). It is also envisaged that these workshops will provide an opportunity to discuss capacity-building strategies that could help African States benefit fully from their blue economies, particularly with regard to increased participation in deep-seabed exploration activities.
- The first workshop of the ADSR project was co-hosted by ISA and the Government of Côte d’Ivoire in Abidjan in October 2018
- The second workshop was co-hosted by ISA and the Government of South Africa in Pretoria in May 2019.
More information on the ADSR project.
For enquiries, please contact:
Marie Bourrel-McKinnon, Senior Policy Officer and Special Assistant to the Secretary-General, Executive Office of the Secretary-General, International Seabed Authority (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- H.E. Mr. Michael W. Lodge, Secretary-General, International Seabed Authority
- H.E. Mr. Albert Muchanga, Commissioner for Economic Development, Trade, Industry and Mining (ETIM), African Union Commission
- Dr. Rezah Badal, Director General, Prime Minister’s Office, Department for Continental Shelf, Maritime Zones Administration and Exploration, Mauritius