All applicants must fill in the Online Personal History Form. Applicants wishing to know the status of the selection for the job opening may refer to the Jobs Opportunities page for updates. Only applications received within the deadline and with the completed online Personal History form are eligible for further consideration. Applicants are solely responsible for providing complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications, including but not limited to, their education, work experience, and language skills at the time of application. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification to applications already submitted will be accepted.
Organisational Setting & Reporting
The post is located within the Office of Administrative Services at the Headquarters of the International Seabed Authority (ISA) located in Kingston, Jamaica, and reports directly to the Finance Officer and under the overall supervision of the Director of Administrative Services.
Within delegated authority the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
- Maintain computerized ACCPAC software, accounting modules (Accounts Payable, Receivables, Common services and General Ledger).
- Examine all transactional entries in the general ledger, ensure accuracy and compliance with IPSAS;
- Perform accrual accounting entries for staff entitlement such as Education Grant, Annual leave, and other accrual entries as required by IPSAS (fixed assets, inventories…), ensure the accuracy and compliance.
- Review and examine payroll and related payment activities, (salary, benefits and entitlements, over-time…) to ensure accuracy and timeliness in compliance with the Authority’s operational standards.
- Prepare pension documents, such as Separation Notifications, pension fund contributions; reconciliation documents and reports with respect to Pension payment, liaise with Pension Fund office at headquarters to resolve any outstanding issue.
- Review and cross-check payments, checks, bank transfers, and other accounts payable transactions performed by the Finance Assistant, examine supporting documents to ensure accuracy and validity.
- Maintain the filing system of financial documents and correspondence.
- Perform routine correspondence and maintain contact with vendor on matters concerning accounts payable.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly financial reports and other ad-hoc financial reports
- Provide advice to colleagues on initiatives to improve financial operations and systems.
- Prepare schedules for the year-end financial audit. Provide supporting documents as required.
- Provide backfill for the position of the Finance Assistant as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Finance Officer.
Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Planning & Organising: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently ; works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisation goals.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Commitment to Continuous Learning: Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession. Actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally. Contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates. Shows willingness to learn from others. Seeks feedback to learn and improve.
High School Diploma is required.
Professional accounting/financial experience at the national or international level for more than one year. The staff member should have 9-10 years of experience in accounting and preparing financial reports and statements for a government or international organization or other large organization. Experience working with external auditors is an asset. Experience working in a multinational environment is also desirable.
English proficiency is required. Other languages of the United Nations are an asset.
Candidates may undergo a substantive and a competency-based interview. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
- The selected candidate will be subject to a reference verification process in accordance with the ISA policy. The process will include but is not limited to, verification of the information provided in the personal history form and a criminal record check. All candidates should be in a position to submit electronic copy of their passport and all diplomas listed on their profile when requested;
- Applicants may check the status of vacancies on ISA website;
- Only nationals of ISA Member States are eligible for consideration;
- Consideration is given to achieving diverse gender, geographical and economic representation at the ISA, to the extent possible;
- The ISA reserves the right to not make any appointment to the vacancy, and/or to make an appointment at a lower level from the one advertised.
For candidates who do not have internet access, please download a copy of the P11 [ pdf | docx ] form and mail to: Attention Human Resources, 14- 20 Port Royal Street, Kingston, Jamaica with a cover letter indicating the job opening ( position title and level) of the application. Applicants will be disqualified from consideration if they do not demonstrate in their application that they meet the evaluation criteria of the job opening. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application.
Due to the high number of applications, individual responses by phone or email are not possible. Applicants wishing to know the status of the selection for the job opening may refer to the job opportunities page where the status of will be reflected as one of the following:
1. Open for Applications
2. Closed for Applications
3. Candidates under Review
4. Selection Completed
THE INTERNATIONAL SEABED AUTHORITY DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, TRAINING OR ANY OTHER FEES). THE INTERNATIONAL SEABED AUTHORITY DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON BANK ACCOUNTS.