The first Council of the Authority was elected by the Assembly at the second session of the Authority in March 1996. In accordance with the provisions of the Convention, the term of one‐half of the members elected at that time expired in 1998. On 25 March 1998, at its fifty‐third meeting, the Assembly decided that, in order to harmonize the terms of office of the members of the Council to be elected in 1998, their four‐year term would commence on 1 January 1999 and continue for a period of four calendar years until 31 December 2002. The Assembly also decided that the terms of office of the members of the Council elected in 1996 for a two‐year term would end on 31 December 1998. Thereafter new members were elected for the normal term of four years.
At its elections held on July 2018, the Assembly elected the following members of the Council for a four year period as from 1 January 2019, subject to the understandings reached in the regional and interest groups1 .
Group A: Italy2, Russian Federation
Group B: France, Germany, Republic of Korea
Group C: Australia3, Chile4
Group D: Fiji, Jamaica, Lesotho
Group E: Cameroon, Ghana, Indonesia5, Mexico, Mozambique, Nigeria, Singapore, Tonga
Composition of the Council 2017 – 20221
GROUP A ( 4 members)
GROUP B (4 members)
|R.O. Korea||R.O. Korea||R.O. Korea||R.O. Korea||R.O. Korea||R.O. Korea|
GROUP C (4 members)
|South Africa||South Africa||South Africa||South Africa||South Africa||South Africa|
GROUP D (6 members)
GROUP E (18 members)
|Côte d’Ivoire||Côte d’Ivoire||Côte d’Ivoire||Côte d’Ivoire|
|Czech Republic||Czech Republic||Czech Republic||Czech Republic|
|Trinidad & Tobago||Trinidad & Tobago||Trinidad & Tobago||Trinidad & Tobago|
|United Kingdom||United Kingdom||Norway||United Kingdom|
- The agreed allocation of seats on the Council is 10 seats to the African Group, 9 seats to the Asian Group, 8 seats to the Western European and Others Group, 7 seats to the Latin American and Caribbean Group and 3 seats to the Eastern European Group. Since the total number of seats allocated according to that formula is 37, it is understood that, in accordance with the understanding reached in 1996 (ISBA/A/L.8), each regional group other than the Eastern European Group will relinquish a seat in rotation. The regional group which relinquishes a seat will have the right to designate a member of that group to participate in the deliberations of the Council without the right to vote during the period the regional group relinquishes the seat.
- Italy would relinquish its seat in group A in favour of the United States of America if the United States became a member of the Authority; this does not prejudice the position of any country with respect to any intervening election to the Council.
- Australia is re-elected for a period of four years (2019–2022), on the understanding that, in 2021, it will relinquish its seat in group C to Indonesia. Australia will be a member of group E in 2021.
- Chile is re-elected for a period of four years (2019–2022), on the understanding that, in 2020, it will relinquish its seat in group C to Indonesia. Chile will be a member of group E in 2020.
- Indonesia is re-elected for a period of four years (2019–2022), on the understanding that, in 2020, it will relinquish its seat in group E to Chile and will occupy the seat in group C relinquished by Chile, and that, in 2021, it will relinquish its seat in group E to Australia and will occupy the seat in group C relinquished by Australia.
Composition of Council (1996-2020)
Relinquishment of a seat in Council (1996-2016)