Japan Oil, Gas, and Metals National Corporation (JOGMEC), in accordance with its contract for exploration for cobalt-rich ferromanganese crusts with the Authority, is offering four (4) training places to candidates from developing States within its 2020 training programme.
The objective of the programme is to expose trainees to exploration for marine mineral resources such as cobalt-rich ferromanganese crusts. The goal of the training is to build up knowledge, skills and experience for exploration for marine mineral resources such as planning of investigation; handling and analysis of samples; and analysis and interpretation of survey data.
The programme which is planned for between May and June in 2020 for approximately 40 days will consist of a combination of on-land (approx. 10 days) and at-sea (approx. 30 days) training component. There will be an initial orientation, lectures related to exploration activities, data analysis or handling samples at a laboratory in Japanese institutes or on a research vessel, field trips in Japanese institutes or facilities relevant to metal mining or the marine environment, presentations of training results, and writing their own training reports.
- Hold a Graduate (masters or doctoral) degree in science or engineering in the relevant field of geology, geophysics, mineral processing, mining, environment or have an equivalent educational background;
- Have at least one year of work experience in the relevant field;
- Have sufficient knowledge of English for daily conversation and training;
- Have good mental and physical health, suitable to work at sea;
- Be less than 45 years of age; and
- Have seagoing experience (optional).
JOGMEC will pay for a round-trip airline ticket (economy class), and provide local travel, meals and accommodations in Japan and on-board within the scope of the training programme, as well as travel insurance with medical coverage.
The trainees are required to:
- Submit reports on the outcome of their training to JOGMEC and to the Authority;
- Sign a confidentiality agreement with JOGMEC.
Applications should be submitted by email, in one of the official languages of the International Seabed Authority by the 4 October 2019 deadline either through the online training portal. Users applying through the online portal (see above), must remember to upload a copy of a passport photo, the signed nomination form indicating the programme of preference, degree/certificate and résumé; OR via email to email@example.com,using the forms below.
Applications must be accompanied by:
- Application form (docx | pdf) to be completed by the applicant;
- Nomination form (docx | pdf) to be completed by the institution or governmental department;
- Copy of degree certificate;
- Proof of sufficient knowledge of English
- Copy of CV or Résumé
- Medical Certificate, if selected for the training
One of the Voluntary Commitments made by the ISA at the UN Ocean Conference 2017 was “Enhancing the role of women in marine scientific research through capacity building” (#OceanAction15467). We therefore strongly encourage suitably qualified women to apply for these training opportunities.
ISSUED 7 AUGUST 2019
Franco Eduardo Puglies| Male | Argentina
Soe Moe Aung | Male | Myanmar
Judith Owusu | Female | Ghana
Hank Hedge | Male | Jamaica
Yuslieni Cala Cadero | Female | Cuba
Karina Melias Astriandhita | Female | Indonesia
Hasina Ramaroson | Male | Madagascar
At-Sea Exploration Training Programme 2018 CLOSED
The Japan Oil, Gas and Metals National Corporation (JOGMEC), in accordance with its exploration contract for cobalt-rich ferromanganese crusts with the International Seabed Authority, is offering four (4) at-sea training places for candidates from developing States within its 2018 training programme.
The training programme aims to provide on-board work and investigative techniques for cobalt-rich ferromanganese crusts by developing investigative planning skills, on-board work experience and data analysis and interpretation skills. The programme is planned for May- June, 2018 for a duration of 40 days, and will be conducted in three phases:
- Pre-cruise training will consist of the planning of research activities and on-board works (3 days).
- At-sea training will include rock core sampling, handling and analysis of samples as well as research report writing (30 days).
- Post-cruise training will be provided in cooperation with Japanese institutions specialized in marine geology, deep sea mineral resources, with a view to giving the trainees a more detailed analytical experience of geochemical components and physical properties for rock samples acquired during the research cruise (7 days).
Candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Education: Hold a graduate degree in science or engineering in the relevant field of geology, geophysics, mineral processing, mining or have an equivalent educational background; with at least one year of work experience in the relevant field.
- Language: Have sufficient knowledge of English for daily conversation and training;
- Health: Have a good mental and physical health, suitable to work at sea;
- Age: Be under 45 years of age; and
- Other: Have seagoing experience (if possible).
JOGMEC will pay for a round-trip airline ticket (economy class), provide local travel, meals and accommodation in Japan and on-board the vessel within the scope of the training programme, as well as travel insurance with medical coverage.
Applications should be submitted by email, in one of the official languages of the International Seabed Authority to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 26 May 2017 deadline.
Applications must be accompanied by:
a) Application form (docx | pdf) to be completed by the applicant;
b) Nomination form (docx | pdf) to be completed by the institution or governmental department;
c) Copy of certificate of degree;
d) Proof of sufficient knowledge of English.
Issue Date: 24 April 2017
Training Programme 2016 CLOSED
UPDATE: [15 March 2016]
First-ranked candidates : Mr. Jean Marie Bope Bope Lapwong (D. R. Congo), Mr. Mohamed Ahmed Moheb Eldesouky (Egypt), Mr. Viliame Momoivalu (Fiji), Ms. Preeyaphat Kongthaworn (Thailand), Mr. Luis Polido de Souza (Brazil)
Alternates: 1. Mr. Hai Trinh Le (Vietnam); 2. Mr. Solomon F. Dan (Nigeria); 3. Ms. Mamatha Singanahalli Shivaramu (India); 4. Mr. Wael Abdelwahab Ibrahem (Egypt); 5. Mr. Anh The Tran (Vietnam); 6. Mr. Ahmed Mohamed Gad (Egypt); 7. Mr. Chon Thanh Vu (Vietnam); 8. Mr. Capter John Tubo (Philippines); 9. Mr. K M Azam Chowdhury (Bangladesh); 10. Mr. Zolboo Ganbaatar (Mongolia); 11. Mr. Haitham Said Al farqani (Oman); 12. Mr. Abdulkadir Mohamed Farah (Somali)
* ----------- *
Japan Oil, Gas, and Metals National Corporation (JOGMEC) is offering five training places on board a research vessel for candidates from developing States, pursuant to the terms of the contract for exploration for cobalt-rich ferromanganese crusts between JOGMEC and the International Seabed Authority. The at-sea training programme is scheduled between May and June in 2016 for a duration of about 40 days: 3 days for the pre-cruise training, 30 days for the at-sea training and 7 days for the post-cruise training.
Members of the Authority are invited to nominate qualified candidates, who must be from developing countries, for the training programme. [Download Training Proposal]
Submission of nominations/application should be in one of the official languages of the Authority in electronic format to: email@example.com and should be received by 31 December 2015. Nominations received after that date will not be considered for this training programme.
Nominations must be accompanied by:
- a Nomination Form (docx | pdf) completed by the nominating government;
- an Application Form (docx | pdf) completed by the candidate.
Japan Oil, Gas and Metals National Corporation (JOGMEC)
Training Programme 2015 (CLOSED)
Submission of nominations for JOGMEC training programme should be received by 15 June 2014. Nominations received after that date will not be considered for JOGMEC training programme, but will be taken into consideration for other future training opportunities of this kind. The Nomination and Application forms should be submitted in electronic format to: firstname.lastname@example.org in one of the official languages of the Authority.
HOW TO APPLY
Download the following forms:
- Nomination Form | docx | pdf (to be completed by the nominating government)
- Application Form | docx | pdf | (to be completed by the candidate