The ISA has developed an online portal for contractor training applications and will be phasing out the manual forms in the next few months. Applicants are encouraged to use the online portal (linked to the Apply Now button below) to submit applications together with a copy of your passport photo, the signed nomination form, degree/certificate and résumé.
China Minmetals Corporation (CMC) in accordance with its Contract for exploration for Polymetallic Nodules signed with the Authority on 12 May 2017 is offering four (4) at-sea training places to candidates from developing States under two training programmes as follows:
I. Environmental Exploration : Two (2) candidates will benefit from at-sea exploration training onboard the R/V HAIYANG LIUHAO, the R/V XIANGANGHONG SHIHAO or another research vessel for approximately 40 days between 31 August and 04 December 2018. The main content of the training will include:
- Operation of CTD, multi-corer, box corer, plankton nets;
- Sediments description onboard;
- Measurement for the engineering mechanical value of the sediments;
- Processing of biological samples (biodiversity and benthos);
- Measurement of environmental parameters onboard (nutritive salts, pH values, dissolved oxygen and chlorophyll); and
- Processing plankton samples.
II. Geological Exploration : Two (2) candidates will benefit from at-sea exploration training onboard the R/V HAIYANG LIUHAO, the R/V XIANGANGHONG SHIHAO or another research vessel for approximately 40 days in 2019 (exact date to be confirmed). The main training content will include:
- Operation of video and photography under the sea;
- Description of polymetallic nodules samples onboard (ore grade, water content, wet density); and
- Processing technology of the video and photography results onboard.
Candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Education: Bachelor degree (or higher) in geology, marine environmental studies (including biology and ecology), or have similar educational background.
- Language: must demonstrate a sound knowledge of English (good verbal and writing skills);
- Professional Experience: At least one year work experience in the relevant field;
- Age: Must be less than 45 years old;
- Other: Proof of some capability of performing scientific research or marine management; and
- If selected for the training: Proof of valid medical certificates which attest to fitness for at-sea conditions.
CMC will cover all relevant costs associated with the training including: medical insurance, travel cost to and within China, meals, accommodation and living allowance.
Trainees shall sign a confidentiality agreement with CMC and shall be required to submit a report to CMC and the Authority upon completion of the training.
Applications should be submitted by the 28 June 2018 deadline either through:
- the online training portal. For users applying through the online portal, please remember to upload a copy of your passport photo, the signed nomination form, degree/certificate and résumé; OR
- via email, in one of the official languages of the Authority, to email@example.com using the forms below.
Applications must be accompanied by:
a) Application Forms (Environmental: docx | pdf | Geological: docx | pdf) to be completed by the applicant;
b) Nomination Form ( docx | pdf ) to be completed by the institution or governmental department;
c) Copy of degree certificate;
d) Proof of proficiency in English;
e) Copy of CV or Résumé;
f) If selected for this training, a copy of valid medical certificate based on criteria set by CMC.
One of the Voluntary Commitments made by the ISA at the UN Ocean Conference 2017 was "Enhancing the role of women in marine scientific research through capacity building" - we therefore strongly encourage suitably qualified females to apply for these training opportunities.