High-level event at HLPF 2021 | Ensuring the sustainable management of deep-seabed resources for the benefit of humankind
13 Jul 2021Virtual
The HLPF is the core UN platform for follow-up and review of the2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and its 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The 2021 session of the HLPF is taking place on 6-15 July 2021, under the auspices of the Economic and Social Council.
ISA is committed to the timely and effective achievement of the goals and targets of the 2030 Agenda through implementing the economic, social and environmental mandates assigned to it by UNCLOS and the 1994 Agreement.
Such mandates include:
(i) ensuring that activities in the Area are carried out for the benefit of humankind as a whole;
(ii) ensuring effective protection for the marine environment and of human life with respect to activities in the Area;
(iii) promoting and encouraging the conduct of marine scientific research in the Area; and
(iv) promoting the effective participation of developingStates in activities in the Area.
All 17 SDGs are relevant to the work of ISA, although it currently contributes more particularly to advance 11 of them.The Secretary-General of ISA has commissioned an independent report on the current and potential future contribution of ISA to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda. The report is expected to be released later in 2021. This side event organized on the margins of the HLPF aims to present the early findings of the report and highlight the key contributions of ISA towards the goals and targets set out by the 2030 Agenda.
- H.E. Mr. Michael W. Lodge, Secretary-General, ISA
- Hon. Mark Brown , Prime Minister, Cook Islands
- Mr. Miguel de Serpa Soares , UN Legal Counsel
- H.E. Mr. Burhan Gafoor , Permanent Representative of Singapore to the UN
- H.E. Mrs. Alison Stone Roofe , Permanent Representative of Jamaica to ISA
- H.E. Mrs. Mathu Joyini , Permanent Representative of South Africa to the UN
- Mr. Jens Frølich Holte , State Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Norway
- Mr. Siosiua ‘Utoikamanu , Member of the Legal and Technical Commission of ISA, Tonga