Term and Conditions of Use of the International Seabed Authority Website
The user of this website constitutes agreement with the following terms and conditions:
- The International Seabed Authority (ISA) maintains this website (the “Site”) as a courtesy to those who may choose to access the Site (“Users”). The information presented herein is for information purposes only. Content on the Site is protected by copyright. ISA grants permission to Users to visit the Site and to download, copy and print the information, documents and materials (collectively, “Materials”) from the Site for the User’s personal, non-commercial use, without any right to resell or redistribute them or to compile or create derivative works therefrom, subject to the terms and conditions outlined below, and also subject to more specific restrictions that may apply to specific Material within the Site.
Permission to reproduce the Material and/or translate in whole, in any form, whether for commercial/for profit or non-profit purposes, must be requested in writing. Any original Material may not be altered or separately published without permission.
- Photographs: where ISA is the exclusive copyright holder, the conditions for reuse of the photographs on the ISA Sites are the same as those for other content, except that photographs must not be modified without prior permission. Where the copyright ownership is shared between ISA and the photographer (or where ownership cannot be determined from ISA Sites), permission must be requested for any reuse beyond downloading for private use, research and teaching purposes.
Permission must be requested for any commercial use, advertising, marketing, storage or third-party distribution of ISA photographs. ISA reserves the right to withhold distribution and/or permission to reproduce ISA photographic material should intended use be considered inappropriate. ISA photographs must be credited each time they are published. The recommended citation format for photographs is ISA /[name of photographer].
- The ISA Sites may include third-party copyright material for which rights and permissions must be obtained from the copyright holder(s) indicated.
- The ISA emblem (official logo) is ISA’s corporate identifier and official seal. It is protected under international treaties and conventions on intellectual property. Accordingly, its use is highly restricted and is prohibited without prior permission. Requests for the use of the ISA emblem for any reason whatsoever, whether or not in association with other logos, must be obtained from the International Seabed Authority. If permission for the use of the ISA emblem is granted, instructions for its placement and display, including related disclaimers, must be strictly adhered to. The use and reproduction of content containing the ISA emblem must not be associated with advertising or with the names of proprietary products and must not imply the ISA’s endorsement of products or services in any way. The ISA reserves the right to request the immediate removal of its emblem from unauthorized websites or products.
- The ISA administers the Sites. All Material on the Site from the International Seabed Authority appears subject to the present Terms and Conditions.
- Unless expressly stated otherwise, the findings, interpretations and conclusions expressed in the Materials on this Site are those of the various ISA staff members, consultants and advisers to the ISA Secretariat who prepared the work and do not necessarily represent the views of the ISA or its Members.
Materials provided on the Site are provided “as is,” without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including, without limitation, warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. ISA specifically does not make any warranties or representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any such Materials. ISA Authority periodically adds, changes, improves or updates the Materials on this Site without notice. Under no circumstances shall ISA be liable for any loss, damage, liability or expense incurred or suffered that is claimed to have resulted from the use of the Sites, including, without limitation, any fault, error, omission, interruption or delay with respect thereto. The use of the Sites is at the User’s sole risk. Under no circumstances, including but not limited to negligence, shall ISA or its affiliates be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages, even if ISA has been advised of the possibility of such damages.
The User specifically acknowledges and agrees that ISA is not liable for any conduct of any User.
This site may contain advice, opinions and statements of various information providers. ISA does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information provided by any information provider, any User of this Site or any other person or entity. Reliance upon any such advice, opinion, statement, or other information shall also be at the User’s own risk. Neither ISA nor its affiliates, nor any of their respective agents, employees, information providers or content providers, shall be liable to any User or anyone else for any inaccuracy, error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, alteration of or use of any content herein, or for its timeliness or completeness, nor shall they be liable for any failure of performance, computer virus or communication line failure, regardless of cause, or for any damages resulting therefrom.
As a condition of use of this Site, the User agrees to indemnify ISA and its affiliates from and against any and all actions, claims, losses, damages, liabilities and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) arising out of the User’s use of this Site, including, without limitation, any claims alleging facts that if true would constitute a breach by the User of these Terms and Conditions. If the User is dissatisfied with any Material on this Site or with any of its Terms and Conditions of Use, the User’s sole and exclusive remedy is to discontinue using the Site.
This Site may contain links and references to third-party websites. The linked sites are not under the control of ISA, and ISA is not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site provides these links only as a convenience, and the inclusion of a link or reference does not imply the endorsement of the linked site by ISA.
ISA encourages users to establish hyperlinks to ISA Sites. Prior permission is not required under the following conditions:
Hyperlinks to ISA Sites must not:
- Infringe ISA’s rights, including its emblem and logos, name or acronym and intellectual property rights;
- be used for the promotion for an organisation, company or commercial products or services.
- hyperlinks must appear with the complete International Seabed Authority URL;
- frames or other visual enhancement tools must not be created around ISA pages;
- ISA logo should not be included when linking to the ISA Site unless prior permission has been granted.
If this Site contain bulletin boards, chat rooms, access to mailing lists or other message or communication facilities (collectively, “Forums”), the User agrees to use the Forums only to send and receive messages and materials that are proper and related to the particular Forum. By way of example and not as a limitation, the User agrees that when using a Forum, he or she shall not do any of the following:
- Defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others;
- Publish, post, distribute or disseminate and defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent or unlawful material or information;
- Upload or attach files that contain software or other material protected by intellectual property laws (or by rights of privacy and publicity) unless the User owns or controls the rights thereto has received all consents, therefore, as may be required by law;
- Upload or attach files that contain viruses, corrupted files or any other similar software or programs that may damage the operation of another’s computer;
- Delete and author attributions, legal notices or proprietary designations or labels in any file that is uploaded;
- Falsify the origin or source of software or other material contained in a file that is uploaded;
- Advertise or offer to sell any goods or services, or conduct or forward surveys, contests or chain letters, or download any file posted by another user of a Forum that the User knows, or reasonably should know, cannot be legally distributed in such manner.
The User acknowledges that all Forums and discussion groups are public and not private communications. Further, the User acknowledges that chats, postings, conferences, e-mails and other communications by other Users are not endorsed by ISA and that such communications shall not be considered to have been reviewed, screened or approved by ISA. ISA reserves the right to remove, for any reason and without notice, any content of the Forums received from Users, including, without limitation, e-mail and bulletin board postings.
The designations employed, as well as the content and materials of the database, do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of ISA, including inter-alia, concerning the legal status of any country or territory or of its authorities; or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or maritime boundaries.
Preservation of Immunities
Nothing herein shall constitute or be considered to be a limitation upon or a waiver of the privileges and immunities of ISA, which are specifically reserved.
ISA reserves its exclusive right in its sole discretion to alter, limit or discontinue the Site or any Materials in any respect. ISA shall have no obligation to take the needs of any User into consideration in connection therewith.
ISA reserves the right to deny in its sole discretion any user access to this Site or any portion thereof without notice.
No waiver by ISA of any provision of these Terms and Conditions shall be binding except as set forth in writing and signed by its duly authorized representative.
Notification of Amendments
ISA reserves the right to amend this policy at its own discretion