The International Seabed Authority (ISA) is calling for the nomination of experts and for the submission of scientific information to support the objectives of the upcoming workshop on the development of a regional environmental management plan (REMP) for the Area of the Indian Ocean, with a focus on the Mid-Ocean Ridges and Central Indian Ocean Basin. The workshop will be organized in collaboration with the Ministry of Earth Sciences and the National Institute of Ocean Technology of India and will take place from 1 to 5 May 2023, in Chennai, India.
The workshop aims to:
- define a geographical area for the development of the REMP, drawing upon information on the geology, biogeography and oceanography of the region
- review and analyse benthic and pelagic ecosystem data
- synthesize environmental data, including patterns of biodiversity, connectivity, community structure, ecosystem functions and ecological proxy variables
- describe current exploration activity within contract areas
- undertake an assessment of cumulative impacts
- provide scientific descriptions of potential areas that should be protected from exploitation in order to achieve the effective protection of the marine environment
- identify potential non-spatial management measures or options.
The Terms of Reference of the workshop can be found here. The results of the workshop will provide scientific inputs to a second workshop on the development of the REMP for area of the Indian Ocean, which will focus on identifying management measures.
A detailed workshop programme, information for participants and other meeting documents will be available on the workshop webpage in due course.
Submission of nomination of experts to participate in the workshop
Members of ISA, in particular sponsoring States, ISA contractors, international and regional organizations, projects/programs and initiatives, and academic institutions/scientific groups, are invited to nominate experts to participate in the workshop.
For full details on the nomination and selection criteria please visit Call for Nomination and Information. Nominations should be sent as soon as possible, but no later than 30 January 2023, via e-mail to email@example.com.
The participants list will be posted on the workshop webpage by 28 February 2023.
Submission of scientific information to support the objectives of the workshop
Members of ISA, in particular sponsoring States, ISA contractors, international and regional organizations, projects/programmes and initiatives, and academic institutions/scientific groups, are also invited to provide relevant information in support of the objectives of the workshop.
For full details on the submission of scientific information please visit: Call for Nomination and Information. Information should be submitted as soon as possible, but no later than 28 February, 2023 via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For enquiries, please contact:
Ms. Wanfei Qiu, Programme Manager (Marine Environment), Office of Environmental Management and Mineral Resources, ISA, email@example.com