The International Seabed Authority (ISA) and the Ministry of Natural Resources of China are pleased to announce the second training workshop organized by the ISA-China Joint Training and Research Centre (JTRC) between 16 and 27 October 2023.
The JTRC was established in 2019 to promote capacity-building and the transfer of knowledge and technology to developing States. The second JTRC training workshop will take place in Qindao, China and will focus on marine science and technology. It is targeted at junior scientists and engineers from diverse backgrounds (marine geologists, marine biologists, oceanographers, biogeochemists and others) with an interest in the deep sea as well as governmental officials.
The programme of the two-week training workshop will include
- Theoretical lectures on deep-sea related topics such as mineral resources, environmental protection, deep-sea biodiversity and habitats, and deep-sea technologies and equipment
- Operational practice of underwater vehicles and simulators
- Site visits to the ocean-related institutions in Qingdao
- Offshore operation onboard a research vessel
- Participation in an international symposium that will take place in Qingdao
- Group assignment and evaluation.
The call for nominations of participants is open until 31 August 2023. Please visit this link for more information on the nomination process and eligibility criteria.
In light of ISA’s commitment towards women empowerment and leadership in deep-sea research, preference will be given to qualified women applicants. Candidates from least developed countries, landlocked developing countries and small island developing States are strongly encouraged to apply.