On 12 September 2022, the Legal and Technical Commission of the International Seabed Authority (ISA) confirmed the selection of three (3) candidates for theoretical internship placements provided by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment of the Russian Federation in accordance with its obligations under its exploration contract for polymetallic sulphides with ISA.
The selected candidates are:
- Mr. Chrisfanel E. Kianguebene–Koussingounina from Republic of the Congo
- Ms. Khaleda Afrin from Bangladesh
- Ms. Lubna Y. Khondakar from Bangladesh
The two-week theoretical training is planned for the fourth quarter of 2022 (second half of October) under the programme “Exploration and development of mineral resources of the World Ocean” at St. Petersburg State University, Russia.
The training will cover three disciplines:
- Fundamentals of Marine Geology and Geophysics;
- Ocean solid minerals (OSM). Search and exploration methods. Fundamentals of ecology of OSM;
- Features of search and exploration of polymetallic sulphides (PMS).
All contractors with ISA have a legal obligation to provide and fund practical training opportunities for personnel from developing States and those of ISA, including the participation of such personnel in all activities in the Area which are covered by the contract.
The legal basis for the requirement stems from the provisions of UNCLOS and the 1994 Agreement and is set out in the standard terms of exploration contracts signed with ISA.
Please visit this page to know more about the Contractor Training Programme.
For additional information, please contact:
Ms. Annekah Mason, Training Coordinator, ISA, firstname.lastname@example.org