Sensitization Seminar, 5-6 November 2015, Chile
5 Nov 2015 - 6 Nov 2015Santiago, Chile
The ISA and the Government of Chile jointly hosted a Sensitization Seminar in Santiago from 5-6 November 2015.
The Seminar brought together experts from the international legal and scientific community with national and regional government officials, scientists, researchers and academics to discuss scientific research and marine mineral development. It also highlighted the 1982 UN Convention on the Law of the Sea; the institutions created under the Convention; the international framework and regulation of deep seabed; the role of the International Seabed Authority and perspectives of deep sea mining in the South Pacific Ocean.
Sensitization seminars are organized by the International Seabed Authority (ISA) in partnership with the hosting country and experts from various scientific and legal institutions associated with the 1982 UN Convention on the Law of the Sea. Similar sensitization seminars have been held in Indonesia, Brazil, Nigeria, Spain, Jamaica, Mexico, and South Africa with three in New York in 2012, 2013 and 2014.
- Presentation : The work of the Division for Ocean Affairs and the Law of the Sea | Ms Charlotte Salpin, Legal officer, DOALOS‐ United Nations,
- Presentation : A Systematic Approach to the Process of Institutionalization in the Law of the Sea | C.R. Hernández Salas J.D., INCAR/Universidad de Concepción
- Presentation : The Commission on the Limits of the Continental Shelf (CLCS) and its work | Charlotte Salpin, Legal Officer, DOALOS – United Nations
- Presentation : The Legal Regime for Deep Sea Mining in the Area | Michael Lodge, Deputy to the Secretary-General/Legal Counsel, ISA
- Presentation : An Update of Deep Sea Mining in the Area | Dr Sandor Mulsow, Chief of OREM, ISA
- Presentation : Deep Sea Mining: Environmental Monitoring Assessment Challenges | Dr Gordon Paterson, Natural History Museum, London
- Presentation : Codelco´s Mining Resources: History and Strategy | José Pesce Rosenthal, Mineral Resources and Development Vice-President, CODELCO‐Chile
- Presentation : Deep Sea Mining Potential in the South Pacific Ocean and implication for land‐based mining | Dr Edmundo Tulcanaza, Committee for Mineral Reserves International Reporting Standards (CRIRSCO)
- Presentation : Environmental, Legal and Technical Challenges for Deep Sea Mining | Sergio Hernández, Vicepresidente Ejecutivo Comisión Chilena del Cobre
- Presentation : A Review of the Scientific and Environmental Challenges for the Region on Other Uses of the Deep sea Environment | Dr Bernard Dold, Universidad de Chile