Workshop on the Development of a REMP for Cobalt-Rich Ferromanganese Crusts in the Northwest Pacific Ocean
26 May 2018 - 29 May 2018Qingdao, Shandong Province, China
The International Seabed Authority (ISA) and the China Ocean Mineral Resources Research and Development Association (COMRA) recently co-hosted a workshop on the Development of a Regional Environmental Management Plan (REMP) for the Cobalt-Rich Ferromanganese Crusts in the northwest Pacific Ocean in Qingdao, Shandong Province, China, from 26 to 29 May 2018.
The goals of the workshop were to understand the national, regional and international policies and laws; to find a consensus on the design of the REMPs as well as the preliminary ideas for its framework; and to produce a work plan for 2-3 years of scientific collaboration to collect and share the data needed for the design of the REMP.
The environmental management objectives of the Authority are (a) the prevention, reduction and control of pollution and other hazards to the marine environment; and (b) the protection and conservation of the natural resources of the Area and the prevention of damage to the flora and fauna of the marine environment. Having REMPs in place in all mineral provinces where exploration occurs will create the enabling conditions to inform better decision-making processes as well as contribute to the effective management of activities undertaken in the Area. Having well-structured and organized information for the area where the Authority has issued contracts is of utmost priority for the design of any REMP.
Michael Lodge, Secretary-General, International Seabed Authority | Statement
- Presentation | China’s Deep Sea Environmental Policy and Practice | Feng Liu
- Presentation | Towards the Development and Implementation of an Environmental Management Plan Strategy for the Area | Sandor Mulsow
Session 1: Legal Framework
- Presentation | Legal and Regulatory Framework for REMP | Yongsheng Cai
- Presentation | Frameworks for REMPs: The CCZ Nodule Example | Cindy Lee Van Dover
Session 2: CFC Habitat
- Presentation | Structure and Functional Characteristics of Seamounts Ecosystem | Tina Molodtsova
- Presentation | Major Factors Influencing Seamount Niches | Tomohiko Fukushima
- Presentation | Megafauna Community Structure, Distribution and Impact Factors on the Northwest Pacific Seamounts | Chunsheng Wang
- Presentation | Exploration Plan for Cobalt-Rich Ferromanganese Crusts in Korean Contract Area – Environmental Research and Management Plan | Se-Jong Ju
- Presentation | Environmental Studies of the Cobalt-Rich Ferromanganese Crusts on Russian Exploration Area | Melnik Viacheslav
- Presentation | Confirming the Validity of ADCP Velocity Measurements for Physical Environmental Assessments in Marcus-Wake Seamount Group for Cobalt-Rich Ferromanganese Crusts | Akira Iguchi
Session 3: REMP Proposal and Perspective
- Presentation | Proposal of the Triangle Project for Cobalt-Rich Ferromanganese Crusts in the Northwest Pacific Ocean | Xue-Wei Xu
- Presentation | The ISA Database Implementation | Sandor Mulsow
- Presentation | Workshop Recommendations